Saturday, July 25, 2009

Banana Bread

We have an extensive list of (newly discovered) food allergies/sensitivities in this household, so I am learning how to shop for and feed our family all over again. 

N(7) and I made a banana bread tonight that *almost* meets our new criteria. (I say *almost*, because the baby is allergic to bananas...) It's a really dense pan of bread, and it isn't incredibly sweet...but it's quite yummy, especially with some non-dairy butter substitute on it. Success!

Allergy-Friendly Banana Bread
(kinda based on a recipe from "The Whole Foods Allergy Cookbook" by Cybele Pascal)

1/4 c oil
3/4 c organic agave nectar
4 ripe bananas, mashed
3  tsp Ener-G Egg Replacer mixed with 4 Tbsp enriched rice milk
juice of half a lemon
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 c dried cranberries
1 c oat flour
1 c brown rice flour
3 Tbsp ground flax meal
1 1/2 tsp. aluminum-free baking powder

*Preheat oven to 350*F.
*Mix oil, agave, bananas, egg replacer, lemon juice, cinnamon, and cranberries in bowl.
*In separate bowl, combine remaining ingredients.
*Combine dry ingredients into wet. Mix well.
*Oil square baking dish (8x8? 9x9?), dust w/ either oat or rice flour.
*Pour mixture into baking dish.
*Bake for about 1 hour 20 minutes.

1 comment:

  1. I love that you have a blog! I read about your allergy free banana bread on twitter, but, with more than 140 characters here, I can now have the recipe. Sweet!

    ReplyDelete