Wednesday, July 29, 2009

The Big List (so far)...

I've mentioned that we have lots of food allergies...

A year ago, I would have told you that none of us (my immediate family) had any food allergies. Shortly after L was born, her skin and abdomen were showing signs that she might be allergic to something that I was eating (she was an exclusively breastfeeding infant). L had her food allergies tested, and she was allergic to a whole list of foods.

Since then, my husband, S, and I have all been tested for our food allergies. So, four out of the six of us have had our food allergies tested...the other two (N & G) will be tested soon. Since it's nearly impossible for me to remember everyone's lists (most are quite long), I'm compiling it into one big list of foods that I'm not buying anymore (or bringing into the house).

I am literally learning how to cook and eat all over again.

Here's what we have on the food allergy list so far:

*Dairy (cow's milk, albumin, casein, lactose)
*Whey Protein
*Egg
*Soy (bean, milk, tofu)
*Peanut
*Pecan
*Pistachio
*Pine Nut
*Walnut
*Cashew
*Sunflower Seed
*Coconut
*Banana
*Crab Apple
*Raspberry (black & red)
*Tomato
*Potato
*Corn (yellow)
*Wheat
*Wild Rice
*Buffalo
*Pork
*Tuna Fish
*Trout
*Aspartame
*High Fructose Corn Syrup
*Honey
*Sugar (cane)
*Sunflower Oil
*Soy Sauce
*Sodium Fluoride
*Sodium Nitrate
*Sodium Nitrite
*Sodium Sulfite
*Food Dyes

8 comments:

  1. Oh, mama, I'm feeling you. I am in my 3rd week of the elimination diet. I've known I'm sensitive to dairy and gluten, but when my babe started having rashes I knew I had to step it up.

    What kind of testing did you have done? I'm thinking about having our family tested.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was called NEAT (Natural Elimination of Allergies Treatment), it uses a computer to test your body's reactions to nearly everything. There are four sessions...one for food, one for airborne, and one for chemicals, and then a clean-up session to review. They made up a vial of each person's allergens, they hit our backs in some keys spots, we had to keep the vial on our skin for 15 minutes, and then we had to avoid the allergens on the printed out list (our specific allergies) for 24 hours. Then, you're supposedly not allergic/sensitive to those items anymore. But, I'm not really believing in the treatment part anymore. Baby is getting rashes, S is having troubles breathing sometimes, I'm exhausted. So, we're starting to eliminate all of the items...and we'll see what happens! They warned that the treatments can wear off, and you might need a "clean-up" every now and then...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you guys are going to be on the SCD diet. I think we will eventually head there, but going GFCFYF for now.

    Can you have Gluten? I see wheat listed, but not Gluten. If you are eliminating Gluten, just double check that things are certified gluten-free like oats, spices and vanilla. Not all are. :( Also, Agave is sometimes processed with Corn, so be careful of that too.

    I feel like I am learning how to cook and eat all over again too, but me and the kids are feeling really great, so it is completely worth the extra work and money. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not sure what the SCD diet is...I'll google it!

    Gluten doesn't seem to be an issue yet. Just wheat (germ, flower, whole, white, & bran). Is gluten in quinoa?

    Thanks for the tips! I can't wait to feel better...

    I have a feeling that we're going back to brown rice, quinoa, chicken, beef, veg, and fruits (the ones not on list above) for a bit. I'll probably lose MORE weight... :0)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I meant "inhalants", not "airborne"......

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow! ((HUGS)) and lots of PTs as you guys go through this huge change.

    So, would you recommend NEAT, even if just for the identifying part? I'm considering getting Isaiah tested to see if it helps with his speech/ behavioral issues any.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would recommend NEAT for identifying. When L was tested, she nursed and napped (she was about 3 weeks old)...totally non-invasive. Very nice to have a list within 20 minutes! No blood work, no guessing, etc.!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You all sound just like our family--though we went on on a candida diet which eliminated a lot of the allergies (http://wholeapproach.com) and then discovered food enzymes which allow us to eat many of the major foods we no longer could (though they don't help with the dyes and preservatives--food enzymes don't help digest chemicals that are not intended for the body. The book Enzymes for Autism and Other Neurological Conditions by Karen DeFelice changed our lives and really helped me figure out which enzymes to try for who depending on their allergies--my middle child was severely allergic to corn and rice--projectile vomiting upon it touching her mouth and as long as she remembers the enzymes she can eat both with no trouble. Oh, and I found you through someone's tweet about unschooling--we are radical unschooelrs as well though I have gotten out of the habito f posting--got lazy and use my tweets most days. :)

    ReplyDelete