Sunday, July 26, 2009

Kung Fu S

S(5) has wanted to take karate for YEARS. Seeing "Kung Fu Panda" sealed it for him...he decided that when he turned 5, he would take karate classes. (He came up with that age on his own...) 

We began investigating Martial Arts schools/classes a few months ago, but didn't really want to commit to any contracts or anything. I found that our city's rec department offered a 6-week Martial Arts class! Checked with S, he was excited and wanted to sign up. Great!

This past Saturday was his first class. He couldn't even get to sleep Friday night. We arrived, he was giddy with excitement. He was holding my hand and skipping down the sidewalk. We walked in the door, I said hello to his teacher...and S hid behind me, death grip on my leg, burried his face in my butt, and said, "I'm shy." The teacher gave us a paper and we sat down and waited, S was hugging my arm and had his face buried in me. 

The two instructors began to speak to the class, explaining the classes and uniforms and such. Then they said that parents will wait outside during classes (it's a small dance class room with mirrors everywhere...and I could totally see how it might be hard to concentrate)...S grabbed my arm even tighter and started to cry. I quietly talked to him...he didn't want to join in yet...he wanted to stay...but he wanted me to stay too. Broke.My.Heart.

I talked to one of the teachers, and she said that it's completely fine for us to sit and observe until he felt comfortable participating. She told me that they had one student who observed for nearly 12 weeks before he felt comfortable enough. I went back to S (actually, I'm not sure how I even got a few feet away to talk to the teacher!) and told him that we could sit and watch together for now. He liked that idea. He cried for a few more minutes, shaking and holding onto my arm, giving me hugs...and then he was mesmerized by watching the class. 

Class ended, S put his shoes back on, and suction-cupped himself back onto my leg (face in my butt again) as we walked out. I thanked his teachers. S and I walked a few feet away from the door...he held my hand and was skipping again! He talked the whole way to the car, and then the whole drive about how fun karate class was! When we met up with C (aka: Daddy), he was telling him how great and fun it was...and all the stuff they did!

I *think* that he will warm up to the teachers and participate. It's so hard for me to believe that he had fun...but he did! This is totally up to him, but we will keep going and just sit and watch if that's what he wants. 

No comments:

Post a Comment