Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Main Goal: Happy Kids

"The main goal is raising happy kids. Everything else is a bonus." 
~Sarah Anderson-Thimmes (found here)

As a "radical unschooler", this quote has a much deeper meaning to me than it does to most parents, I think.

To me, it means literally what it says...EVERYthing else is a bonus. Reading, writing, spelling, math skills, sports ability, socialization, speaking skills, swimming, computer literacy, science knowledge, tooth-brushing skills, sleeping patterns...EVERYthing. If my children are happy now--and as adults--then we have done our job as their parents.

Happiness is knowing that your parents love and support you unconditionally. Happiness is knowing that your parents will read you that book...whenever you want. Happiness is knowing that your parents trust that YOU know what your needs and wants are. Happiness is knowing that your mom will make you cookies when you ask...and she won't limit how many you eat. Happiness is knowing that your parents actually LIKE having you around. Happiness is knowing that if you want to be left alone, you will be. Happiness is trusting that whatever passion you have, you are free to run after it with all of your heart. Happiness is knowing that YOU are in charge of YOUR life. Happiness is knowing and trusting that you can do ANYthing that YOU want to do.

If a child WANTS to learn/do anything else (the items listed above--and many, many more), then they will. Because they want to, and they have decided that it's something that they want.

I have come to the point in our unschooling journey where I can honestly say that if my children don't learn how to read, then that's okay. I happen to love reading, and I'd love to share that passion with my children. I really think that their lives would be easier, and perhaps more enjoyable, if they learn how to read...but that's not my choice. It's not my life.

If our children are happy now--and in the future--then we have done our job.

No comments:

Post a Comment