Thursday, August 20, 2009

"Typical" Day

As any unschooler knows, there's no "typical" day.

Here's what went on in our house today:

We all woke up around 7am, when G announced that the sun was awake. C got ready for work, I made coffee, N & S ate crackers, G ate "nunny nut chee-woes", and L sat in her booster seat working on an apple. C left for work.

*L nursed while I checked my email and twitter on my iTouch.
*N & S played on the computer (Dino Squad, I think?).
*G set up train tracks that ran the length of the living room.
*L threw things in the trash.
*G watched something on PBS.
*I set up my Google reader!
*N, S, & G made another tent in the livingroom (we moved the couches just for this purpose).
*L filled a small bag with blocks, toy food, and spoons from the kitchen drawer.
*I attempted to clean the kitchen...and just ran the dishwasher instead.
*We all watched Pink Panther together.
*S made a paper pterodactyl.
*N & S argued about the difference between a pterodactyl and a pteranodon (??).
*G colored on the table, right next to where the piece of paper was.
*N played Wii (I have no clue what game), while S & G watched him. 
*G made ramps for his cars with items from our recycling bin.
*N, S & G made an obstacle course for L in the playroom.
*We went to make cookies, and realized that we didn't have enough ingredients.
*I attempted to read, but L didn't want me holding a book.
*L took apart the train track that G had set up.
*G threw a train at L.
*L laughed and ran away from G...squealing.
*N & I played "Go Fish" with "Uno" cards...and then played "Uno".
*L played with her own set of cards nearby.
*G watched Pink Panther (his obsession right now) and took a nap.
*N & S played in the playroom quietly.
*L napped.
*I tried to watch "Knowing" (I finally finished it tonight...it only took 3 days to watch).
*L & N played in the kitchen cupboards.
*Everyone took a bath (just to play in the water).
*G made us all goodies at the play kitchen.
*We all played "store", using money that they boys made.
*S told me, "I'm overbudget...that means I'm out of money."
*S & L both got fevers and weren't feeling well...we all talked about getting sick & being healthy.
*N, S & I started to write a book together.
*S played with a calculator.
*N randomly asked me how to spell words that he heard in his game or on TV.

Throw in lots of snacks, a few meals, many breastfeeding sessions, lots of hugs and kisses......

And that's some of our unschooling day...today. We didn't leave the house, it was well over 100*F out.

I'm not the type of "homeschooler" who looks at what we do and tries to break it down into "educational subjects". If you feel the need to see if we "covered" certain "subjects", go ahead. I'm certain that my kids learned more today than their peers did at school. But, more important than learning...they did their own thing, followed their own hearts/desires, and are happy.

We are just living our lives...

No comments:

Post a Comment